South African Schools are invited to support IYBSSD 2022
Is your school in support of the International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development? If so, please do as follows …
Invitation to South African schools: International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development (IYBSSD 2022)
The Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) – on behalf of the international UN IYBSSD Secretariat, South African Dept. of Science and Innovation (DSI), and the South African National Research Foundation (NRF) – would like to invite all South African schools to participate in the International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development (IYBSSD 2022).
Schools intending to participate can send their school logo, along with the school web address (where available) and the details of the school contact person, to firstname.lastname@example.org An IYBSSD 2022 school competition will be launched during this year (prize money attached to it), and only participating schools (who have shared their school logos with us) will be eligible to participate in the competition.
Some guidelines on how to participate:
- Get together as a class/school, or partner with another school/organisation and start planning your activities/events. It can take the form of “dress up as a scientist day”, a march for science, science cafe/shop/spaza, webinars, sell science treats as part of a fundraiser (e.g. make and sell astronaut ice cream), science experiments, (pop) quiz evenings, video interview with a scientist, science bootcamp, develop a basic sciences manifesto for your school, host a roundtable, competition, exhibit, write a poem/compose a song, and many more! Even invite a scientist to come speak at your school (also virtually using for example Zoom)! Be creative and demonstrate how we need maths, physics, chemistry and biology towards making the world sustainable for all of us, and especially for you! Tip: try to use planned sports and/or other school events/platforms (social media, newsletters) as opportunities to raise awareness, and also involve parents and local businesses.
Also participate in National Science Week 2022 and Scifest Africa 2022.
- Once ready, please submit more information online through completing this form, or emailing more details to email@example.com We will then add your events/activities to the global UN IYBSSD calendar and the SA IYBSSD calendar.
- Following your event, submit a news article with media (photos, video etc) and have it published on our news blog. Email the news article to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Also watch this space for more information on events/activities by science bodies, universities and other schools. All are welcome to attend and participate! Also friends and family!
- Lastly – share and print the poster below as widely possible. Thank you for making a difference and for your support!
We are looking very much forward receiving your school logos and information on IYBSSD activities planned to celebrate this very important year!